26 February 2011

Modest Spec Ubuntu Recovery USB

A while back I bought a 16gb Toshiba Flash Drive from Sam's. My intention is to build a light weight Ubuntu install on it to use for data/system recovery and just to figure out some of the more obscure command line tools. I installed a command line system on it just like it were the internal HDD and built up the system from there. I generally followed this tutorial. Modest Spec or Barebones Installation of Ubuntu.

I deviated down at the bottom and installed these packages to build the window environment. I had an ethernet connection at the time but wanted to finish it on wifi.
  • sudo aptitude install xorg xterm wdm icewm menu slim wicd-curses
After that was all installed I logged in with:
  • sudo slim
Then I opened a terminal (or switched to tty1) and started my wireless networking with:
  • wicd-curses
I am actually starting to prefer the ncurses based wicd over the gtk network manager Wicd. After all this is supposed to be lightweight and I didn't think the difference was necessary. I went to aptitude and began to install the rest of the packages I wanted. Everything went pretty smooth until it came time to setup the IceWM menu. I found some help on the Freenode IRC in the #puppylinux forum. Puppy uses IceWM. The #icewm channel doesn't really seem to have anyone in it. For anyone interested in looking through the list of binaries installed on my system check it out on Google Docs.

No comments: